[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The-Hogs.net - View topic - I could use your help

I could use your help

Talk about the Washington Football Team here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Site Admin

I could use your help

Postby BossHog » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:12 pm

First of all, this should be posted in site news but I wanted to ensure that it gets seen, and board rules aren't that important when there are only a few of us, right?

So, I have toiled tirelessly to get everything back up and going. There was an inordinate amount of 'broken stuff' as can be expected with 20 years of content at a different url. I have finished most of my polishing up, and creating new stuff. I DO still have a few 'to dos' on archiving.

So how can you help me?

Here are five ways:

1) If you come across a broken image anywhere on the site - or a broken link - please let me know if you don't mind. In this thread is good. Don't be shy.

2) You will notice that there are social network buttons at the top and bottom of nearly every page of the site. I would really appreciate if you would use them... especially the Facebook like button. I promise you that this isn't about inflating my ego or seeing some big number there - THIS IS STRICTLY TO HELP ME GET THE SITE SPIDERED WELL BY GOOGLE AGAIN. Every google link I had disappeared with the old url, so I would really like to get many of the thousands of pages of content here recognized by search engines. Believe it or not... those social share buttons really help. They act as a "vote" for the page as far as Google is concerned, and help rank individual pages higher.

If you're logged into Facebook, you won't even be taken offsite... a little checkmark will just appear on the FB icon.

All of this HELPS ME GET PEOPLE BACK TO THIS FORUM. :D

3) If you are on the THN Facebook page... please click like on our Blog Posts, and even share them if you are so inclined. I haven't been very active on that FB page lately, so the posts aren't very high in people's algorithms. I'd like to improve that just to get word out that the site is back up.

4) Does anyone have an active Twitter account? I still haven't been able to re-activate my Twitter account, so I would love, love, love to get word out on Twitter that the site was back up - even while I am waiting to sort out my account. You can use the Twitter share button on every page to share anything. I would REALLY appreciate it if you could tweet my Twitter handle too and then maybe some people in my timeline will see it. That handle is: @TheHogsdotNet

5) If you personally know any THNers, please let them know that the site is back up. I have nothing but ancient email addresses for some people and no way to communicate with a giant percentage of the board (as much as 90%)

Even if just a few of you, do just a few of these things, it will really help.

And i would really, really appreciate it.

Thank you for your time in reading this through. =D>

Brown in the Hall

Re: I could use your help

Postby NC43Hog » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:28 am

On the main site page:

WFT Info
WFT Roster (nil.com) bad link

Archives
Photo Gallery and Old Cartoons links not working

Not sure if this is info you needed or maybe you were aware of, but thought I would let you know.
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Dean Wormer

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:44 pm

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:00 pm

Gallery and Cartoon links removed (for now)...

Brown in the Hall

Postby NC43Hog » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:03 pm

No problem.

I was just having fun looking at old stuff hence going to the gallery and cartoon sections. :)

On the main the-hogs.net page (home - not forum), on the pulldown WFT Info under off-site resources label - WFT Roster (nfl.com) link goes to a 404 Flag on the Play.
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Dean Wormer

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:01 pm

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:37 pm

I have to be honest, it's not looking good for the cartoons. There is absolutley zero ways to play a Flash file on the web as of Dec. 2020. Apparently COVID also killed the last of the "ceurrentish" browsers that supported Flash and there is absolutely nothing left. I have tried online SWF converters... downloadable SWF converters... importing the SWFs into Flash for export... all to no avail.

Part of the problem is that my back-ups of the FLA source files that are on CDR's, are apparently so old they don't actually store data. :roll: Even the "archive-safe" burnable CDs don't seem to read on anything I try them on. Getting those originals CDs to 'read' might be my only option because if I can't get the CDs working and subsequently don't have the original FLA files, I'm pretty dead in the water.

Even then, I have to convert every file and then likely start a YouTube channel to upload them to. And that's best case scenario.

I don't think it's getting sorted any time soon, I will tell you that. I spent hours on it today and just hit dead end after dead end.

The Gallery may have a better fate, but there is a reason that both these sections were still undone. lol

I have a backup of all of the images from the Gallery so I should at least be able to maybe cobble something new together. Retaining all of the captions etc seems like a more daunting task. That's why it got back-burnered too. That has a better possibility of being revived than the Cartoons, but I'm not sure either will be 'soon' unfortunately... but you never know.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon May 03, 2021 3:01 pm

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Football Team