[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The-Hogs.net - View topic - Jay Gruden’s Play Calling

Jay Gruden’s Play Calling

Talk about the Washington Football Team here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
goskins

Jay Gruden’s Play Calling

Postby GoSkins » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:25 pm

He doesn’t make changes until it’s too late. I’m also tired of him stating his play calling was poor. If we aren’t in the playoffs this year then we need a new HC.

Hog

Re: Jay Gruden’s Play Calling

Postby aswas71788 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:51 pm

I have been a Gruden supporter but at this point, I agree with you.

Hog

Postby El Mexican » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:03 am

Terrible in every aspect of the game. I really don't care if it's Gruden's or the players fault,
but today's game vs Indy was a no-show.

Toothless. No energy. Disappointing.

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:37 am

As I said he will cost us multiple games this year and will be fired at the end of the season.
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

HereComesTheDiesel

Postby riggofan » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:06 am

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax
"We're on the rise, man, whether you're on the train or not." - Josh Norman

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:50 pm

I think I've finally had enough of this team underachieving every season. Capitals, Stanley Cup Champions. Nationals, playoffs most seasons. Wizards, playoffs most seasons. Mystics, reached the finals. Valor, AFL Champions. Redskins, never in contention, never improving, never worth watching after eight games. I don't even care who is at fault anymore. It's a garbage product which rightfully deserves to lose support by the thousands. The empty seats say it all. People would rather spend their time and money on anything else.
“He was at that time the smartest player in the league. We did everything we could to try to eliminate him from the play. We knew if we didn’t neutralize him, then we had less of a chance of winning.” - John Hannah on Chris Hanburger

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:41 am

Trash.
#21 forever in our hearts
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby Bishop Hammer » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:13 pm

I don't have to sell my soul,
He's already in me,
I don't need to sell my soul,
He's already in me.
I wanna be adored
I wanna be adored.

Stone Roses
I wanna be adored

HereComesTheDiesel

Postby riggofan » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:36 am

I'm glad people have that outlet, and I'm really happy for the Caps fans. I know how hardcore the fans are and awesome to see them rewarded with both a quality team and a championship.

I've just personally never been able to get into hockey, can barely follow our baseball and basketball teams.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:14 pm

HereComesTheDiesel

Postby riggofan » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:55 am

I agree with the predictability part. But I also find this criticism frustrating. Fans are constantly demanding that the team commit to the run, and saying they want to get back to Redskins/The Hogs style football. But when they do, everyone bitches that there are some three and outs. The team was running AP frequently in the first half on first down and eating the Packers up. Clearly GB adjusted at half time and tried to stop the bleeding.

Those three and outs in the third quarter were frustrating, no doubt about it. But each of those drives took 2 - 3 minutes off the clock. If Gruden had gone out there and started throwing the ball, three incompletions, 30 seconds off the clock, (or God forbid threw an INT) people would be bitching that he got away from the run, got away from what was working in the first half.

Anyway, I think Gruden definitely got a little too conservative for my tastes in the second half, especially playing Aaron Rodgers. Still we had a good lead on GB, and I'm glad he was trying to burn clock and wear them down with the run. That commitment paid off in the 4th quarter when AP tore off a couple big chunks again.

The team won, and the offense was really sharp in the first half. If you're gonna burn coach for losses, give him some credit for a W.

HereComesTheDiesel

Postby riggofan » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:05 am

Skins were 20 pass plays to 35 run plays yesterday btw. 220 yards passing, 166 yards rushing.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:14 am

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:16 am

HereComesTheDiesel

Postby riggofan » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:38 am

Hog

Postby El Mexican » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:52 am

Yep, fantastic game. Could AP be the man that gives the team some identity?

goskins

Postby GoSkins » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:50 pm

Even though we won, does anyone have thoughts on our play calling in the 2nd half for our last 2 games? How many TDs has our offense scored in the 2nd half all season?

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:47 pm

One junk one vs the Colts?
Jay lacks killer instinct and goes soft... End of first half airs it out and has some luck... 2nd half 2 runs and a pa pass on third and long. Its a broken record. Run to establish the pass... Dont run on EVERY FIRST DOWN EVER.

The run game was solid- it should've opened up pa pass and bootlegs but instead we played predictable and played not to lose the lead instead of increase it. Its a terrible habit he has had all year (career).
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

HereComesTheDiesel

Postby riggofan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:53 am

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:28 am

"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Hog

Postby oj » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:23 am

Agreed the play calling was lame when it should have been aggressive, al least they should have run the to the left where AP had consistantly ripped some big numbers, Alex Smith couldn't throw the ball for some reason, he kept missing receivers and running out of bounds stopping the clock is a rookie mistake, one that a seasoned professional that is running the offense should never have made.
I've been critical of Manusky, but I think we'll keep him in charge for another week or two. The D was fantastic, I kinda hated to see the field goal attempt fail because watching the defense work was a thing of beauty. I think they could've stopped any team in the NFL yesterday, they were fantastic.
Hail Skins!
Molon Labe

HereComesTheDiesel

Postby riggofan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:25 am

HereComesTheDiesel

Postby riggofan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:28 am

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:34 am

Hog

Postby oj » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:20 pm

Molon Labe

HereComesTheDiesel

Postby riggofan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:25 pm

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:46 pm

Until recently, Snyder & Allen have made a lot of really bad decisions - nobody with any sense believes this franchise will get better under their guidance
Snyder's W/L record = 45% (80-96) - Snyder/Allen = 41% (59-84-1)

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:28 pm

I think Manusky is great... Jay is a terrible OC but decent HC.. Decent. I love to see Greg with a mad face evwn after a great stop... Billecheck like.. Gruden smiles to much lol. Id like to see ua bring in an OC, the scheme is solid but the play calling is out of order. Like he cant focus on game management and play calling at the same time.

Big wim regardless!!! Dak was undefeated vs us- and that is trash!

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:06 am

HereComesTheDiesel

Postby riggofan » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:24 am

Well tbh if we win 10 games this season and make the playoffs, I'm not going to be feeling doomed or bitching about who the GM is. I would probably credit everyone involved and be happy that we didn't suck this year. That's just me though.

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:57 am

“He was at that time the smartest player in the league. We did everything we could to try to eliminate him from the play. We knew if we didn’t neutralize him, then we had less of a chance of winning.” - John Hannah on Chris Hanburger

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:11 pm

I want the Redskins to win each and every game ... It would be fantastic if we won the NFC East this season

HOWEVER

I also want this franchise to get better and to get a good HC - to do that, this franchise needs to gain more credibility and become a better managed franchise - we could continue to do things the way we have and hope we get lucky or we could bring in people that would make this franchise more attractive to coaches and players

put another way - IF we win 10 or 12 games and continue on under the 'leadership' of Bruce and Dan with Jay Gruden as our HC, I don't think that anyone is going to look at this franchise and think it's a better place to be

Jay Gruden has clearly proven that he's not a really good HC, he's just the best we could get
Until recently, Snyder & Allen have made a lot of really bad decisions - nobody with any sense believes this franchise will get better under their guidance

HereComesTheDiesel

Postby riggofan » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:02 pm

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:35 pm

I just don't want things to continue as they have here - I've seen enough of Jay Gruden to know that this franchise will be a lot better of with a good HC

I understand that "winning cures everything" but I don't think that Dan & Bruce have any idea how to get better other than mortgaging the future - wouldn't it be nice to have a GM and FO that know's which players and coaches you can add without giving up too much - look at what the stupid Cowboys did - that trade reminds me of the last time they paid a fortune for a WR (Terrence Williams, I think) and he did not work out too well

we need a better FO and a real GM

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:42 pm

Jay Gruden has CLEARLY PROVEN to me that he's not a good NFL coach - maybe he's another coordinator that don't know how to make the step up

maybe some are satisfied with Gruden - I think this franchise would be a lot better off with a good GM who is allowed to bring in his own HC

not sure that we're going to get a new HC but I am sure that Gruden will not be a head coach when he leaves here

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:37 pm

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:46 am

You're entitled to your opinion - mine is that since Jay Gruden has been here he's proven to be a coach that lacks leadership and his coaching style is more to try and not lose the game than to try and win - he's not done badly this season but I still see him as lacking

IF we were to get a new GM, I doubt that he would keep Jay Gruden and if we don't, there's no point in replacing him

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:56 am

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:44 am

HereComesTheDiesel

Postby riggofan » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:57 pm

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:55 pm

it's really simple for me - I'm not advocating a new this or a new that - this franchise under the guidance of Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen is going to continue to be a mediocre franchise - I understand that it's not likely to happen but I would like to get rid of Bruce Allen and bring in a new GM

IF that happens, I doubt that Jay Gruden will be our HC ...

you guys can hope that things will change if we keep doing what we've been doing - I'm not buying it

it would be great to win the NFC East this season - in order to be consistently good we need to change the way this franchise is managed

GO SKINS

HTTR

Hog

Postby oj » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:53 pm

Molon Labe

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:45 pm

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:21 pm

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:31 pm

HereComesTheDiesel

Postby riggofan » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:34 am

So, DAMN. Yesterday in the fourth quarter, third and 1 and needing to keep the ball, I'm expecting Gruden to run AP up the middle again. He mixes it up, calls a pass play and if I'm not mistaken Alex Smith makes a bad throw.

](*,)

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:16 am

HereComesTheDiesel

Postby riggofan » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:40 am

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:23 am

HereComesTheDiesel

Postby riggofan » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:59 am

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:25 pm

HereComesTheDiesel

Postby riggofan » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:12 pm

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:37 pm

HereComesTheDiesel

Postby riggofan » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:06 pm

You might be right. Just crazy that guy is a third round pick, not sure how much of a chance he has really gotten to show what he can do. I mean, aside from fumble in key situations.

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:18 pm

It seems to me -- have been able to watch the last two games -- that the Redskins do not have the receivers to throw much. Maybe not the QB, either, since Smith seems more of a careful guy than a passer who can carry the team.

Gruden seems to be calling a sensible game. Not always my favorite sort: "I'm a Redskin fan and I like Sonny". Still, it fits a team with a good defense and a strong OL, Peterson plus below-average receivers.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:51 pm

"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

HereComesTheDiesel

Postby riggofan » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:45 am

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:18 pm

all I care about is what we've seen the past 2 games ... Smith is definitely not playing as well as he can

Gruden and Smith need to do their jobs better

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:46 am

The good news for Smith- is there is only room for improvement... Lacking Reed most offseason and CT, CT missing games during the regular season, one starting wr coming in off the streets, one coming in off the pup, and JDoc being injured most preseason and some games this season- its not like having Diggs and Theeland all camp and season.. He will gain confidence and improve. He isnt a Sexy Rexy who will gun sling... Most of the off throws are likely him holding back a touch. Once the chemistry is there and some progress is made in game, he will flower. The opposite of previous signal callers who will just huck it and then blow the game away when it counts. The colts game was a a play or two away- the aints game got out of hand despite the D making good stops and getting flags to negate them early...
We aren't the Pats, but we are physical on both sides for once- Smith will do what he has to or face the music. 5-2- rejoice

HereComesTheDiesel

Postby riggofan » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:06 pm

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:31 pm

Jay Gruden certainly deserves some credit but I still don't think he's a very good HC - as we've stated in the past, he's the best we could get at the time

I doubt that even if we win the NFC East this season, Jay Gruden is the HC here in 2020 AND if we don't win the NFC East I doubt he's here in 2019

HereComesTheDiesel

Postby riggofan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:13 am

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:42 am

HereComesTheDiesel

Postby riggofan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:19 pm

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:20 pm

[-X not at all - I was not the only one that felt that when we looked back and discussed Jay Gruden's hiring - the Redskins were so toxic that nobody decent would have come to work here
Zimmer may have 'interviewed' for the job but the fact that he did not take it IMO is because he didn't really want it :lol:

anyway, it matters not - IMO the Redskins would be better off without Jay Gruden but I hope that does not happen until we can gain some respectability

It's good to hear that there are some people here that are trying to turn this franchise around from the mess that Snyder created

HereComesTheDiesel

Postby riggofan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:21 pm

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:19 pm

^^ you're exactly right, I don't want to go there either - I remember thinking/hoping that he might become a good HC for us, especially given what he'd done as an OC - I'm not hating Jay as a HC - I just think that he's not as good a HC as he is an OC - in all fairness this has been a difficult place to work

I also do not want to just dump Jay Gruden - this franchise is in an interesting place right now, there's a lot of good young players to build around - to just change for the sake of change is not good - I think we could do better than Jay but I don't have a lot of faith in who these 2 might select

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:31 am

So who is available that is better? HC he is actually ok- i think as an OC is where he lacks. Look at McVay- guy is much better suited as an oc the JG... I wish he'd relinquish play calling to an actual OC and just be the HC again

HereComesTheDiesel

Postby riggofan » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:28 am

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:41 am

I would have liked to have seen Kyle become the man.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:23 pm

Or McVay... Both will haunt us

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:57 am

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

HereComesTheDiesel

Postby riggofan » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:55 pm

I say it all goes back to Gregg!!! :)

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:27 pm

Ques SJ with perpetual "front office" post

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:08 pm

goskins

Postby GoSkins » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:15 pm

Somebody please explain Gruden's play calling on our last possession.

HereComesTheDiesel

Postby riggofan » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:46 pm

You mean :52 seconds no timeout starting from our own 20? Good grief, man. They got to the Houston 45 and took two reasonable shots to try to get into FG range.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Football Team